April 16, 2020
White House Advises Employers On COVID-19 Reopening Procedures
On April 16th, the White House issued guidance for “Opening Up America Again.” The guidance proposes three Phases for returning to work following a 14-day downward trajectory of reported cases including individuals who have influenza-like and COVID19-like symptoms, as well as those who test positive for COVID-19. Each phase should be entered into at the state Governors’ discretion. For all phases, some tips for employers include:
- Develop and implement appropriate policies, in accordance with Federal, State, and local regulations and guidance, and informed by industry best practices, regarding: social distancing and PPE; temperature checks; testing, isolating and workforce contact tracing; and more.
- Monitor workforce for indicative symptoms. Do not allow symptomatic people to physically return to work until cleared by a medical provider.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for workforce contact tracing following employee
For Phase I and II, some tips include:
- Continue to encourage telework
- Close common areas in your workplace, like cafeterias or break rooms
- Consider special accommodations for vulnerable populations
For full and more specific guidance on all three phases, click the link above.