January 24, 2020
New Record Set in EEOC’s FY 2019 Stats!
On January 24, 2020 the U.S. EEOC published its annual FY enforcement statistics. For the first time, the percentage of charges filed alleging disability discrimination surpassed those alleging discrimination based on race. Some other interesting trends include:
- despite the “#Metoo” movement, the number of sex-based charges decreased;
- of all protected bases, only color and equal pay had an increase in the number of related charges filed; and
- the percentage of retaliation-based charges were #1 again and for the 10th year in a row!
- When you conduct harassment prevention training for staff and managers, cover all forms of unlawful discrimination and harassment, not just those based on sex.
- Talk to your employees about bystander intervention with practical examples of how to intervene.
- Give your managers and supervisors practical tips for avoiding even the appearance of retaliation. Review your related HR policies and ensure they do the same.
- Update your training to include the EEOC’s state statistics for charges filed in your states of business operation.