September 08, 2020
EEOC Adds 20 New FAQ’s to COVID-19 webpage
On September 8th, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) added 20 new questions and answers to its “What You Should Know About COVID-19 and the ADA…and other EEO Laws” page. This brought the total number of questions to 63. Topics addressed include:
- Disability-Related Inquiries and Medical Exams (14)
- Confidentiality of Medical Information (8)
- Hiring and Onboarding (5)
- Reasonable Accommodation (18)
- Pandemic-Related Harassment Due to National Origin, Race, or other Protected Characteristics (4)
- Furloughs and Layoffs (2)
- Return to Work (7)
- Age (2)
- Caregivers/Family Responsibilities (1)
- Pregnancy (2)
A few of the newly added FAQ’s include:
- Q: May an employer ask an employee who is physically coming into the workplace whether they have family members who have COVID-19 or symptoms associated with COVID-19?
- A: No.
- Q: When an employee returns from travel during a pandemic, must an employer wait until the employee develops COVID-19 symptoms to ask questions about where the person has traveled?
- A: No
TIP: Click on the link above to read the full answers to these and many other questions. You may want to bookmark the page from the link above and check periodically for updated information. Stay tuned!